Did you miss out on one (or five) of Tech Cocktail's posts from this week? It's okay. We want to let you know that we forgive you; we totally get it. You're a busy person, with a lot of things on your mind and equally as many things to do. You had people to meet, places to be, and tacos to eat. No worries, though, because we've curated this week's top 10(ish) posts as determined by the Tech Cocktail editorial team. Need more Tech Cocktail? Sign up for the Tech Cocktail newsletter today, and get the weekly wrap-up direct to your inbox.
Here are this week's Tech Cocktail Top Stories:
- 19 Entrepreneurs Share What Hours They Work: Committing yourself to the startup life means committing yourself to work any and all hours of the day in order to get your startup in the right position. We were interested to learn when exactly and for how long founders worked throughout the day.
- 6 Lies VCs Tell You: Here are a few things we learned from our recent DC Sessions event, Learn How to Get Funded by DC's Biggest Startup Investors.
- Y Combinator's Jessica Livingston Threatens Sexually Inappropriate Investors: The Y Combinator partner reminded investors in a statement that Y Combinator won't tolerate any sexually inappropriate behavior, lest they want to be blacklisted from YC events.
- 12 Startup Founders Share Their Favorite Coffee Spots in 9 Cities: Let's be honest: startups run on coffee; without it, our collective consciousness is null. We asked startup founders so share with us their favorite coffee spots, and came back with some great places in 9 cities. Check them out!
- Steve Case-Backed DC Startup Framebridge is Like Warby Parker for Art Framing: This recently-launched DC startup is changing the framing game – by offering them at a much cheaper cost, at a high quality, and with much greater efficiency.
- 4 Reasons to Not Feel Guilty About Taking Breaks: Taking a break can do wonders for you, such as increase your mood and even increase productivity. Take a look at how and why that's possible. TAKE MORE BREAKS! BREAKS FOR ALL!
- The One Thing That Matters to VCs (Besides Team): August Capital general partner David Hornik shares with us what matters to VCs – outside of the people in your team, that is.
- How Farmigo is Turning NYC into a Food Startup Hub: Recently relocated to larger space in Gowanus, Brooklyn, Farmigo is trying to bring together food startups in NYC and to create the food startup hub of the country.
- VCs Aren't as Omniscient as We Think: David Hornik from August Capital admits that the job of the VC isn't to know exactly what's trending or what's the next big thing, but it is his job to learn what ideas are getting more traction, and to be as alert as possible.
- FiNe App Offers Loyal Customers Real-Time Discounts at Their Favorite Spots: This Miami-based startup has created a new loyalty app that not only provides rewards for regular customers, but also offers business owners with important data.
- 10 Tips Entrepreneurs Need to Remember for a Successful Business: From realizing that company culture matters highly, to knowing that entrepreneurship is an ongoing, neverending process, here are ten tips to consider before jumping into startups full-time.
- 8 Tips for Managing a Remote Team: A follow-up to “Why Remote Work is Booming”, guest contributor Mark Feldman goes into the tips for how to go about actually managing a remote team.
- Startups and Famous Chefs Come Together for the First Silicon Alley Supper Club: The first in a series of events held by The Daily Meal, Silicon Alley Supper Club attempts to bring together members of the New York startup community for casual networking events featuring food from top-ranked chefs (including former Top Chef contenders).
- Can Happy Seed Standardize the Way We Build Apps?: The Brooklyn, New York-based HappyFunCorp recently released their Happy Seed gem on GitHub, which could lead to future changes in how we approach app development.