The iPhone XS Max was Apple’s biggest and most expensive iPhone ever. Launched alongside the XS in September 2018, the XS Max was lauded above all else just for having a massive screen. While the XS Max is a very impressive and imposing phone, it offers precious little improvement over the XS – or even 2017’s iPhone X – beyond its bigger screen.
So, is the XS Max worth buying in 2020? And was it ever worth buying in the first place?
In this review:
- Design – The iPhone XS Max doesn’t use its extra bulk well
- Cameras – The same excellent cameras from the iPhone XS
- Battery Life – Solid, if unspectacular
- Performance – Top-notch A12 processor makes it speedy
- Cost and Value for Money – At $1,100, can the XS Max ever be worth it?
- iPhone XS Max vs iPhone XS vs iPhone XR – Which is the right iPhone for you?
- iPhone XS Max Verdict – Should you go large on the new iPhone?
OLEDs are generally better but LCDs are cheaper.
The higher the numbers, the better — generally.
Measured in milliampere hours. The larger the number, the better.
Measured in gigabytes, more RAM allows phones to handle more tasks at once.
Click to compare deals and plans from AT&T
iPhone 12 Pro
iPhone 12 Mini
iPhone 12 Pro Max
|iPhone XR||iPhone XS||iPhone XS Max|
|Cost||From $749||From $999||From $1,099|
|Screen size (in)||6.1||5.8||6.5|
|Dimensions (HxWxD mm)||150.9×75.7×8.3||143.6×70.9×7.7||157.5×77.4×7.7|
|Storage sizes (GB)||64, 128, 256||64, 256, 512||64, 256, 512|
|Processor||A12 Bionic||A12 Bionic||A12 Bionic|
|Rear camera||Single 12Mp||Dual 12Mp||Dual 12Mp|
|Front camera||7Mp TrueDepth||7Mp TrueDepth||7Mp TrueDepth|
Of course, if price is a concern, you could always try to find a refurbished iPhone X for less than the price of an iPhone XR.
Tech.co is reader-supported. If you make a purchase through the links on our site, we may earn a commission from the retailers of the products we have reviewed. This helps Tech.co to provide free advice and reviews for our readers. It has no additional cost to you, and never affects the editorial independence of our reviews. Click to return to top of page