December 7, 2018
Finding the right ecommerce platform for your business can seem like a daunting task, especially when all of them seem to offer the same features.
Shopify is one of the biggest ecommerce platforms on the market and Wix, while traditionally seen as a website builder also offers ecommerce functionality. So, can you get the best of both worlds with Wix? Or is it better to go with the ecommerce specialists?
We’ve put Wix and Shopify through our thorough testing process and have reviewed both of them separately. And, in this instance, we’ve found that Shopify is the superior ecommerce platform. In fact, it’s the best ecommerce platform on the market. Shopify has more in-depth sales features than Wix, especially when it comes to accounting and shipping. It also allows you to sell across more sales channels and has a level of depth as an ecommerce platform that Wix simply can’t match.
In this guide, we’ll tell you why Shopify should be your ecommerce platform of choice:
- Wix Summary – Excels at website building, but lacks sales features compared to Shopify
- Shopify Summary – Simple to use and backed by a market-leading range of sales features
- Shopify Supports More Sales Channels – With Shopify, you’ll be able to integrate social media sites, Amazon, eBay and more
- Shopify Has Better Product Inventory – You can upload products in bulk, manage stock levels easily, and analyze customer engagement
- Wix Gives You More Creative Control – It has better website templates and loads of customization through the drag-and-drop editor
- They Both Have Large App Stores – Both of the platforms have lots of third-party apps which can help add features to your site
- Shopify Has Better Accounting Tools – With a convenient invoice generator and tax exemptions, Wix makes accounting easy
- Wix vs Shopify Pricing Comparison – Wix has cheaper plans, but Shopify offers better ecommerce features
- Verdict – Shopify is the better ecommerce platform
Wix is best known as a website builder. However, Wix is also a capable ecommerce platform and is constantly improving its ecommerce and online store functionalities.
Wix is probably best suited to small, boutique online stores. When it comes to website design, Wix is really a class apart. It has loads of design features and allows for in-depth visual customization thanks to its straightforward what-you-see-is-what-you-get editor.
Wix has also recently developed tools for improved product management and marketing promotion tools. However, Wix can struggle with larger ecommerce operations, with no dedicated accounting tools. Wix also doesn’t offer any built-in support for bricks-and-mortar stores.
Want to know more? Read our full Wix review here.
- Brilliant design options
- Attractive pricing plans
- Excellent help and support options
- Lacks some sales channels
- Can’t change website template after publishing
- Reporting and analytics could be better
Build Your Dream Online Store with Wix
Shopify is the best ecommerce platform on the market. It has an unmatched set of sales and reporting features, including support for sales in bricks-and-mortar stores.
Shopify might not have the same level of design customization as Wix, but Shopify still gives you professional-looking websites designed specifically as online stores. This means you van focus on the job of selling products and making money, rather than fine-tweaking visual elements.
Shopify is perfect for ecommerce businesses operating at scale. You can use Shopify to track sales across loads of different sales channels — from social media sites to third-party markets such as Amazon and eBay. What’s more, Shopify’s powerful analytics and reporting tools make it easy to digest and understand all this sales information.
- Excellent sales features
- Brilliant product management and inventory
- Impressive design options
- Expensive compared to Wix
- Some features are only found in paid-for apps
- Charges transaction fees unless using Shopify Payments
Start Your Ecommerce Business with Shopify
Get Your Business Online With Shopify Today
Some of the links on our page will take you directly to a provider or retail website, where you may find deals and discounts. If you make a purchase at this stage, we may receive a payment. This has no additional cost to you, and never affects the editorial independence of our reviews.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!
Sorry about that. Try these articles instead!