June 5, 2019
Wix isn’t just one of the biggest website builders on the market – as we found out in our tough reviews and testing process, it’s also the best of the bunch.
Wix has competitive pricing plans, which start from just $8.50 per month. There’s a free version of Wix, too, though we’ll explain why we wouldn’t recommend this for anything but the most amateur of websites. Of course, Wix saves some of its best features for its more expensive plans. The Unlimited plan, Wix’s most popular offering, starts from $14 per month and gives you a noticeable bump in the number of features available.
In this guide, we’ll run through all of Wix’s pricing plans (including Wix Free) in detail and find which one is right for you.
However, the free version of Wix has its downsides – and some of these are quite significant.
For example, while you get hosting thrown in for free with a Wix free plan site, you’ll be limited to just 500MB storage and 1GB bandwidth per month. This is a paltry amount, and will likely mean that your site will be suspended and inaccessible for the remainder of the month if you breach the limit.
That’s not all, though. With a free Wix site, you won’t be able to:
- Choose your own URL – With a free Wix website, you’ll be stuck with a domain name like this: username.wixsite.com/siteaddress. It doesn’t look very professional, and your site will appear lower in Google’s results
- Get rid of adverts – If you choose to go with a free Wix website, you’ll find your impeccably-designed pages cluttered with adverts for Wix’s services (and no, you won’t make money out of them yourself)
- Sell products online – If you’re looking to sell the stuff you make online (ie create an ecommerce store), you won’t be able to do it with a free site from Wix
- Upload lots of images, videos or audio – With only 500MB storage, you’ll be unable to upload more than a few of your own photos to your site. This will harm your ability to make your site unique
- Choose your own hosting provider – While we’ve mentioned that you can get free hosting on a Wix site, it isn’t very good. Instead, opting for a paid site will let you choose a different hosting provider, giving you more uptime, bandwidth and storage
Hopefully, you’ll now understand that while you can create a website for free on Wix, it’s a false economy to do so. Your site is your brand, and you’ll want it to have the right URL, to be free of Wix adverts, and to have all the storage and bandwidth you need to succeed. For all this, you’ll need to pay. The good news? You won’t need to pay much.
Wix Premium Pros
- Get started from just $8.50 per month
- Powerful editing tools and attractive templates will make you a stunning, unique website
- Custom hosting with a premium package can keep costs down
- Ability to sell products means that you could even recoup the cost of the site every month
Wix Premium Cons
- Wix hosting on a premium plan is only available with a yearly purchase
- VIP ecommerce plan is a bit pricier than other Wix plans
See How Wix Compares to Other Website Builders
Wix Pricing – Verdict and Next Steps
By now, you should have a better grasp of the fundamentals of Wix’s pricing structure, and what it might cost you to get started creating a website with Wix. To recap:
- Yes, there is a Wix Free plan. But you really shouldn’t choose it, given the sheer number of limitations and how unprofessional these could make your site appear.
- The best value Wix Combo plan costs from $8.50 per month. For this, you can have your own URL, get rid of Wix adverts, and enjoy enough bandwidth and storage for most websites to succeed.
- If you’re developing an ecommerce site to sell things online, then Wix has a separate range of ecommerce plans, too.
The best thing you can do is head to Wix and get started – it really does take mere moments to begin creating your site. Then, select the right plan for your needs, and push your website live.
Some of the links on our page will take you directly to a provider or retail website, where you may find deals and discounts. If you make a purchase at this stage, we may receive a payment. This has no additional cost to you, and never affects the editorial independence of our reviews.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!
Sorry about that. Try these articles instead!