Wix has a range of competitive pricing plans which start with the Combo plan at just $8.50 per month. There's a free version of Wix, too, although we'd avoid this for anything but the most amateur of websites. Wix also offers the Unlimited plan which costs $14 per month, and gives you increased storage and some extra features. There's also the VIP plan which will set you back $29 per month and gives you access to email campaigns and increased storage again.
Finally, Wix offers a range of ecommerce-specific plans. These start with the $20 per month Business Basic plan which allows you to accept commission-free payments online and removes Wix adverts. Then there's the Business Unlimited plan which gives you increased storage, a professional logo, and a few more extras for $25 per month. For larger stores, there's the Business VIP plan which costs $35 per month. Again, you get increased storage but you also get priority access to improved customer support — helpful if your site has a problem.
Above all, our advice is to head to Wix and check for deals. There are regular Wix deals and discounts that can get you money off these plans, including some great prices for the first year of your website.
In this guide, we’ll run through all of Wix’s pricing plans (including Wix Free) in detail and find which one is right for you. We also explain the hidden extra costs of using Wix. These shouldn't deter you from choosing this brilliant website builder, but be aware of them upfront – plus, we explain how to limit these costs.
|Price/ month (paid annually)||Best for|
|Combo||$8.50||Low-traffic websites that are either just starting out or need a dependable online presence. If you get lots of traffic, the limited bandwidth will likely cause problems.|
|Unlimited||$14||Fledgling business and professional websites. If we're honest, the step-up from the Combo plan isn't huge — it'll be fine if you need some extra bandwidth and storage, though.|
|VIP||$29||Business sites that need a bit more storage and email marketing campaigns. We'd skip straight to the VIP plan once you outgrow the Combo plan.|
|Business Basic||$20||Fledgling ecommerce businesses. With commission-free sales, it's a great way to start making money online.|
|Business Unlimited||$25||Growing ecommerce websites that are after some extra custom marketing tools. It's a good option for anyone looking to grow their site.|
|Business VIP||$35||Full-time ecommerce sites — the priority customer support options are a great safety net for established online sales businesses.|
|Enterprise||$500||The largest ecommerce businesses. If you're really making money and attracting a lot of visitors, the Enterprise plan would be a good fit.|
|Click to Try||Free||See Deals|
How Much Does Wix Cost?
Wix costs from $8.50 per month, to $35 per month, depending on the plan you choose. You can keep costs down by selecting to pay for one, two, or three years in advance – this is far better value than paying monthly, no matter which plan you select.
Wix offers four pricing plans designed for websites, as well as three separate pricing plans designed for ecommerce stores — find out whether these are right for you here. You can also use Wix for free but we'd advise against it.
The most important thing is to select the Wix price plan that's appropriate for the needs of your own site – there's no sense spending on vast storage space and bandwidth if you're just maintaining a small business or personal site. We compare the essential features in our Wix pricing table, below:
|Monthly Cost (paid monthly)||$0||$14.50||$16||$35|
|Monthly Cost (paid annually)||$0||$8.50 (3-yr plan)||$14||$29|
|Free domain||✗||✔ (if paid annually)||✔ (if paid annually)||✔ (if paid annually)|
|Video upload (minutes)||0||30||60||120|
|Site Booster & Form Builder App||✗||✗||✔||✔|
|Email Campaigns and Emails Sent per Month||✗||✗||✗||10 campaigns/50,000 emails|
|Click to Try||Free||See Deals||See Deals||See Deals|
Want to be sure Wix is right for you? See our expert, in-depth Wix review
Wix Hidden Costs to Watch Out For
While Wix is pretty clear about its pricing structure, there are some costs that you should be aware of before taking the plunge.
Free domains aren't always free
When you're upgrading to a Wix premium plan, you'll likely notice that you can get a free domain. However, you only get the free domain in certain circumstances.
- You only get a free domain when you purchase a yearly plan — not a pay monthly plan
- You only get a free domain with your first purchase — there'll be no free domain when you come to renew
- You only have two months to claim your free domain voucher from the time that you make your initial purchase of a yearly plan
Once your free year is up, you'll have to start paying for your domain which will cost you $14.95 per year. Having your own domain is definitely worth it in the long-run, as you’ll get a professional-looking URL and the ability to have custom email addresses.
Wix plans auto-renew
Auto-renewing subscriptions can be annoying. All of Wix's plans are set to auto-renew, so it's worth making sure you know what you're signing up for when you take the plunge.
However, you can cancel the auto-renewing subscription in the settings on your Wix dashboard.
Head to Billing in your Wix account > Click Plan Actions > Click Cancel Now
You won't lose access to your account, or your site, it just won't renew.
Wix has a large app store which can help add loads of extra functionality to your site. However, some of these apps require some extra outlay before you can use them.
You won't have to pay to add an Instagram feed to your site, but some accounting apps, for example, only offer short-term trial periods. Premium apps typically cost less than $10 per month, but some can run up to $20 per month.
If the app is going to help you make money, it will probably be worth paying the extra cost. But if it's offering an otherwise free service, we'd probably avoid it.
Is Wix Really Free?
Put simply, yes, Wix can be free to use. But this comes with a heavy caveat – you'll have to put up with plenty of limitations on the Wix free plan, and these are the kind of things that no decent website would tolerate.
While you can build a website with Wix for free, it’s really not advisable. On a free plan:
- You’ll have extremely limited storage and bandwidth, which could affect how many users can visit your site each month, plus how many images or videos you can add.
- You’ll also be left with an unprofessional and unmemorable URL with a Wix-branded top-level domain.
- Your website will host adverts for Wix (and these won't make you any money)
All of these drawbacks could hurt the success of your website, both in Google's eyes, and in that all-important first impression you make to your site visitors.
As it turns out, the truth about a free Wix website is a little more complicated than you might imagine.
Does Wix Cost Money?
Sadly, Wix does cost money if you want to make a legit website. That is, one without the severe limitations of Wix Free. As ever, the best things in life don’t come free.
A genuinely good website can transform your business, club, or career prospects almost overnight.
By spending a little bit of money, you can easily reap the rewards of a premium site, whether that’s more sales or a jump to a better job.
And, thanks to Wix’s competitive pricing plans, you will only be spending a little bit of money.
It has to be said – there’s actually quite a lot you can do with Wix’s free plan.
You’ll be able to create and publish a website, which is more than some free website builder plans allow you. Wix even gives you free website hosting, although your site will be given a Wix-branded domain name on the free plan.
Beyond letting you create and publish a website, Wix’s free plan will also let you:
- Choose from over 300 templates – The free version of Wix offers just as many free templates as the paid version, and across just as many different industries
- Create a blog – With Wix’s free plan, you’ll be able to set up a small blogging website – ideal if you’re just starting out
- Promote your business site online – With email marketing, SEO assistance and more, Wix gives you the tools to attract customers to your site (though they may be unimpressed by the poor URL you get on the free plan)
- Use free stock images – If you’re just setting up your site, you can take advantage of Wix’s extensive image library
- Install third-party apps – You’ll be able to add extra functionality to your site to make your website even more useful for users, such as the Wix Art Store and Instagram Pro apps you can see below
However, the free version of Wix has its downsides – and some of these are quite significant.
For example, while you get hosting thrown in for free with a Wix free plan site, you’ll be limited to just 500MB storage and 1GB bandwidth per month. This is a paltry amount, and will likely mean that your site will be suspended and inaccessible for the remainder of the month if you breach the limit.
That’s not all, though. With a free Wix site, you won’t be able to:
- Choose your own URL – With a free Wix website, you’ll be stuck with a domain name like this: username.wixsite.com/siteaddress. It doesn’t look very professional, and your site will appear lower in Google’s results
- Get rid of adverts – If you choose to go with a free Wix website, you’ll find your impeccably-designed pages cluttered with adverts for Wix’s services (and no, you won't make money out of them yourself)
- Sell products online – If you’re looking to sell the stuff you make online (ie create an ecommerce store), you won’t be able to do it with a free site from Wix
- Upload lots of images, videos or audio – With only 500MB storage, you’ll be unable to upload more than a few of your own photos to your site. This will harm your ability to make your site unique
- Choose your own hosting provider – While we’ve mentioned that you can get free hosting on a Wix site, it isn’t very good. Instead, opting for a paid site will let you choose a different hosting provider, giving you more uptime, bandwidth and storage
Hopefully, you’ll now understand that while you can create a website for free on Wix, it’s a false economy to do so. Your site is your brand, and you’ll want it to have the right URL, to be free of Wix adverts, and to have all the storage and bandwidth you need to succeed. For all this, you’ll need to pay. The good news? You won’t need to pay much.
- Incredibly simple to use
- Great value plans
- Easy to preview as you go
- No expertise needed
- Great range of templates
- Free plan leaves you with a poor URL and Wix adverts
- After publishing with a template, you can't change to another one
Wix Pricing Plans Explained
You’d be forgiven for thinking that if you want to make your site as good as possible, you need the most expensive Wix pricing plan. However, not all sites need the same features: for example, there’s no point in shelling out for an online store plan if you want your site to work as an online portfolio.
We’ll run through different types of websites and which pricing plan would work best.
- If you want to make a blog — Unlimited plan
- If you want to run an online store — Business Basic plan
- If you want to create a portfolio website — Unlimited plan
- If you want to make a site for your business — Unlimited plan
- If you want to create a CV/resume website — Combo plan
Wix Combo Plan
This plan will give you a regular URL, or lets you connect your Wix site to a domain you already own. You’ll get access to Wix’s excellent roster of website building tools, including the drag-and-drop editor, website templates and more. It also removes adverts and gives you 3GB storage and 2GB bandwidth. You’ll also be able to upload up to 30 minutes of HD video. If you buy the Combo plan for a year, you’ll also get a free domain voucher.
You could run a brilliant website with the Combo plan, but it probably isn’t ideal for high-traffic sites given the 2GB bandwidth.
Could be a good fit for low-traffic but professional-looking websites
Wix Unlimited Plan
According to Wix, the Unlimited Plan is their most popular offering, and it’s not hard to see why. You get unlimited bandwidth, 10GB storage, and you can upload up to an hour’s worth of video. There are no adverts, plus you’ll get access to the Site Booster and Form Builder apps, which will help attract visitors to your site and let you build custom forms to capture information about them.
It’s not too much of a price hike over the Combo plan, and it’s probably worth the small increase in outlay given the extra visibility your site will get. Again, buy the plan for a year, and you’ll get a free domain voucher.
The best place to start for business and professional websites
Wix VIP Plan
The VIP plan is the most expensive Wix plan, if you don’t need ecommerce functionality. Storage is doubled to 20GB, as is the amount of video you can upload. Beyond the Unlimited plan, you also get 10 email marketing campaigns per month, “priority” support response in case something goes wrong with your site, and the ability to skip the line with phone support.
It’s not really clear who this plan is aimed at, given that many of the features are so similar to the Unlimited plan.
Extra features are nice, but unlikely to be deal-breaking
Wix Ecommerce Plan Pricing
If you want to use Wix to create an online store or an ecommerce website to sell physical or digital products, you’ll need to use one of Wix’s Business & Ecommerce plans, rather than its regular website plans.
There are three on offer: Business Basic, Business Unlimited and Business VIP. They’ll all let your site accept online payment, and won’t charge you any commission fees on products you sell. A Wix online store would be great for a small business, perhaps with an existing bricks-and-mortar presence, which is looking to expand online.
It’s not as suitable for larger businesses, as it lacks some more complex accounting and product management tools.
|Business Basic||Business Unlimited||Business VIP|
|Cost (paid for one year)||$20||$25||$35|
|Domain costs||Free (when paid annually)||Free (when paid annually)||Free (when paid annually)|
|Site Booster & Form Builder App||✔||✔||✔|
|Email Campaigns and Emails Sent per Month||✗||20 campaigns/ 100,000 emails||20 campaigns/ 100,000 emails|
|Priority Response & VIP Support||✗||✗||✔|
|Verdict||A decent choice for new businesses||Handy email tools for growing your business||Extra support tools welcome but not essential|
|Click to Try||See Deals||See Deals||See Deals|
You get all the features from the Business VIP plan, but you also get access to some bespoke features. For example, professionals from Wix will help you plan, develop, and launch your business or give you a hand with growing your existing business. You also get get annual security audits — handy if you're managing lots of customer data.
If you’re not sure which ecommerce platform is right for your business, take a look at our Best Ecommerce Website Builders guide.
Wix Pricing – Verdict and Next Steps
By now, you should have a better grasp of the fundamentals of Wix's pricing structure, and what it might cost you to get started creating a website with Wix. To recap:
- Yes, there is a Wix Free plan. But you really shouldn't choose it, given the sheer number of limitations and how unprofessional these could make your site appear.
- The best value Wix Combo plan costs from $8.50 per month. For this, you can have your own URL, get rid of Wix adverts, and enjoy enough bandwidth and storage for most websites to succeed.
- If you're developing an ecommerce site to sell things online, then Wix has a separate range of ecommerce plans, too.
The best thing you can do is head to Wix and get started – it really does take mere moments to begin creating your site. Then, select the right plan for your needs, and push your website live.
Tech.co is reader-supported. If you make a purchase through the links on our site, we may earn a commission from the retailers of the products we have reviewed. This helps Tech.co to provide free advice and reviews for our readers. It has no additional cost to you, and never affects the editorial independence of our reviews.