August 16, 2019
Wix has a range of competitive pricing plans which start with the Combo plan at just $8.50 per month. There's a free version of Wix, too, although we'd avoid this for anything but the most amateur of websites. Wix also offers the Unlimited plan which costs $14 per month, and gives you increased storage and some extra features. There's also the VIP plan which will set you back $29 per month and gives you access to email campaigns and increased storage again.
Finally, Wix offers a range of ecommerce-specific plans. These start with the $20 per month Business Basic plan which allows you to accept commission-free payments online and removes Wix adverts. Then there's the Business Unlimited plan which gives you increased storage, a professional logo, and a few more extras for $25 per month. For larger stores, there's the Business VIP plan which costs $35 per month. Again, you get increased storage but you also get priority access to improved customer support — helpful if your site has a problem.
In this guide, we’ll run through all of Wix’s pricing plans (including Wix Free) in detail and find which one is right for you. We also explain the hidden extra costs of using Wix. These shouldn't deter you from choosing this brilliant website builder, but be aware of them upfront – plus, we explain how to limit these costs.
|Price/ month (paid annually)||Best for|
|Combo||$8.50||Low-traffic websites that are either just starting out or need a dependable online presence. If you get lots of traffic, the limited bandwidth will likely cause problems.|
|Unlimited||$14||Fledgling business and professional websites. If we're honest, the step-up from the Combo plan isn't huge — it'll be fine if you need some extra bandwidth and storage, though.|
|VIP||$29||Business sites that need a bit more storage and email marketing campaigns. We'd skip straight to the VIP plan once you outgrow the Combo plan.|
|Business Basic||$20||Fledgling ecommerce businesses. With commission-free sales, it's a great way to start making money online.|
|Business Unlimited||$25||Growing ecommerce websites that are after some extra custom marketing tools. It's a good option for anyone looking to grow their site.|
|Business VIP||$35||Full-time ecommerce sites — the priority customer support options are a great safety net for established online sales businesses.|
|Enterprise||$500||The largest ecommerce businesses. If you're really making money and attracting a lot of visitors, the Enterprise plan would be a good fit.|
|Click to Try||Free||See Deals|
How Much Does Wix Cost?
Wix costs from $8.50 per month, to $35 per month, depending on the plan you choose. You can keep costs down by selecting to pay for one, two, or three years in advance – this is far better value than paying monthly, no matter which plan you select.
Wix offers four pricing plans designed for websites, as well as three separate pricing plans designed for ecommerce stores — find out whether these are right for you here. You can also use Wix for free but we'd advise against it.
The most important thing is to select the Wix price plan that's appropriate for the needs of your own site – there's no sense spending on vast storage space and bandwidth if you're just maintaining a small business or personal site. We compare the essential features in our Wix pricing table, below:
|Monthly Cost (paid monthly)||$0||$14.50||$16||$35|
|Monthly Cost (paid annually)||$0||$8.50 (3-yr plan)||$14||$29|
|Free domain||✗||✔ (if paid annually)||✔ (if paid annually)||✔ (if paid annually)|
|Video upload (minutes)||0||30||60||120|
|Site Booster & Form Builder App||✗||✗||✔||✔|
|Email Campaigns and Emails Sent per Month||✗||✗||✗||10 campaigns/50,000 emails|
|Click to Try||Free||See Deals||See Deals||See Deals|
Want to be sure Wix is right for you? See our expert, in-depth Wix review
Wix Hidden Costs to Watch Out For
While Wix is pretty clear about its pricing structure, there are some costs that you should be aware of before taking the plunge.
Free domains aren't always free
When you're upgrading to a Wix premium plan, you'll likely notice that you can get a free domain. However, you only get the free domain in certain circumstances.
- You only get a free domain when you purchase a yearly plan — not a pay monthly plan
- You only get a free domain with your first purchase — there'll be no free domain when you come to renew
- You only have two months to claim your free domain voucher from the time that you make your initial purchase of a yearly plan
Once your free year is up, you'll have to start paying for your domain which will cost you $14.95 per year. Having your own domain is definitely worth it in the long-run, as you’ll get a professional-looking URL and the ability to have custom email addresses.
Wix plans auto-renew
Auto-renewing subscriptions can be annoying. All of Wix's plans are set to auto-renew, so it's worth making sure you know what you're signing up for when you take the plunge.
However, you can cancel the auto-renewing subscription in the settings on your Wix dashboard.
Head to Billing in your Wix account > Click Plan Actions > Click Cancel Now
You won't lose access to your account, or your site, it just won't renew.
Wix has a large app store which can help add loads of extra functionality to your site. However, some of these apps require some extra outlay before you can use them.
You won't have to pay to add an Instagram feed to your site, but some accounting apps, for example, only offer short-term trial periods. Premium apps typically cost less than $10 per month, but some can run up to $20 per month.
If the app is going to help you make money, it will probably be worth paying the extra cost. But if it's offering an otherwise free service, we'd probably avoid it.
However, the free version of Wix has its downsides – and some of these are quite significant.
For example, while you get hosting thrown in for free with a Wix free plan site, you’ll be limited to just 500MB storage and 1GB bandwidth per month. This is a paltry amount, and will likely mean that your site will be suspended and inaccessible for the remainder of the month if you breach the limit.
That’s not all, though. With a free Wix site, you won’t be able to:
- Choose your own URL – With a free Wix website, you’ll be stuck with a domain name like this: username.wixsite.com/siteaddress. It doesn’t look very professional, and your site will appear lower in Google’s results
- Get rid of adverts – If you choose to go with a free Wix website, you’ll find your impeccably-designed pages cluttered with adverts for Wix’s services (and no, you won't make money out of them yourself)
- Sell products online – If you’re looking to sell the stuff you make online (ie create an ecommerce store), you won’t be able to do it with a free site from Wix
- Upload lots of images, videos or audio – With only 500MB storage, you’ll be unable to upload more than a few of your own photos to your site. This will harm your ability to make your site unique
- Choose your own hosting provider – While we’ve mentioned that you can get free hosting on a Wix site, it isn’t very good. Instead, opting for a paid site will let you choose a different hosting provider, giving you more uptime, bandwidth and storage
Hopefully, you’ll now understand that while you can create a website for free on Wix, it’s a false economy to do so. Your site is your brand, and you’ll want it to have the right URL, to be free of Wix adverts, and to have all the storage and bandwidth you need to succeed. For all this, you’ll need to pay. The good news? You won’t need to pay much.
Wix Premium Pros
- Get started from just $8.50 per month
- Powerful editing tools and attractive templates will make you a stunning, unique website
- Custom hosting with a premium package can keep costs down
- Ability to sell products means that you could even recoup the cost of the site every month
Wix Premium Cons
- Wix hosting on a premium plan is only available with a yearly purchase
- VIP ecommerce plan is a bit pricier than other Wix plans
See How Wix Compares to Other Website Builders
Wix Pricing – Verdict and Next Steps
By now, you should have a better grasp of the fundamentals of Wix's pricing structure, and what it might cost you to get started creating a website with Wix. To recap:
- Yes, there is a Wix Free plan. But you really shouldn't choose it, given the sheer number of limitations and how unprofessional these could make your site appear.
- The best value Wix Combo plan costs from $8.50 per month. For this, you can have your own URL, get rid of Wix adverts, and enjoy enough bandwidth and storage for most websites to succeed.
- If you're developing an ecommerce site to sell things online, then Wix has a separate range of ecommerce plans, too.
The best thing you can do is head to Wix and get started – it really does take mere moments to begin creating your site. Then, select the right plan for your needs, and push your website live.
Some of the links on our page will take you directly to a provider or retail website, where you may find deals and discounts. If you make a purchase at this stage, we may receive a payment. This has no additional cost to you, and never affects the editorial independence of our reviews.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!
Sorry about that. Try these articles instead!