Jira is a popular name in project management. Developed by the online services company Atlassian, Jira began life mostly as a tool for managing software development projects, but has since expanded into more general usage. Jira uses the Kanban (or board) visual interface, where projects are managed by moving index cards across categories on a digital cork board. The software-specific version is called Jira Software, while the more general project management option is known as Jira Core.
Jira's pricing starts at $10 per month. Jira offers two kinds of pricing plans: cloud-based options, where companies use Atlassian's online service, or self-hosted licensing. Most smaller and mid-sized companies are likely to be satisfied with the cloud services option, since there is no extra worry about managing your own hardware. For larger companies, however, Jira's server and data center options are likely to be ideal given the control they offer.
Jira's pricing can get a little complex, but let's take a look at all the various options on offer.
In This Guide:
- Jira Pricing Plans — Jira provides users with a number of different pricing plans, check them out here.
- Jira Cost Per User — Like most business software, Jira pricing operates on a cost per user basis
- Jira Cloud Costs— An affordable option in which users don't have to worry about managing their own server
- Jira Server Costs— For small to medium sized businesses looking host their own Jira server
- Jira Data Center Costs— Exclusively for enterprise-level companies with at least 500 employees.
- Should You Pay for Jira?— The final verdict on whether Jira is right for you
|Payment schedule||1-10 Users|
|500 Users||2,000 users||5,000 users||10,000 users|
|Jira Core Cloud||Monthly payments||$10.00||$500.00||$1,300.00||$2,950.00||$6,250.00||N/A|
|Jira Core Server||One-time fee||$10.00||$5,500.00||$16,500.00||$20,200.00||$120,000|
|Jira Software Cloud||Monthly payments||$10.00||$700.00||$1,725.00||$3,375.00||$6,675.00||N/A|
|Jira Software Server||One-time fee||$10.00||$8,300.00||$24,800.00||$30,400.00||N/A||$38,000.00|
|Jira Data Center |
(Jira Software Only)
- Very simple interface that's easy to use
- Lots of helpful integrations
- Scalable pricing structure
- Missing more advanced project management features
- Integrations can be confusing
- Monthly rates are a bit high
Tech.co is reader-supported. If you make a purchase through the links on our site, we may earn a commission from the retailers of the products we have reviewed. This helps Tech.co to provide free advice and reviews for our readers. It has no additional cost to you, and never affects the editorial independence of our reviews.