Wix and GoDaddy are two massive website builders. But how can you choose between them when they seemingly offer the same services? Here at Tech.co, we've done the research to help make your choice easier.
We think that Wix is the best overall website builder on the market, based on our research and user testing process. Wix wowed us with its brilliant design editing tools, fantastic SEO tools and its huge app store and feature set.
However, GoDaddy has plenty going in its favor – it remains one of the fastest ways to build a website, thanks to its great ADI feature and simple to use interface. We’ll go into more detail about Wix and GoDaddy in this guide, and help you pick the right website builder for you.
Which is Better – Wix or GoDaddy?
Wix is better than GoDaddy if you're creating a website for the first time. In fact, Wix is our favorite website builder of all the brands we've tested. It performed well across the board in our testing, with an extensive set of features and a well-judged balance between detailed customization options and straightforward UI.
However, GoDaddy performs just as well in some areas. We found it just as easy to use as Wix, for example, and you can build a website even more quickly with GoDaddy than Wix. The two are further apart, however, when it comes to Features, Value for Money, and Help & Support.
Take a look at our in-depth breakdown of how the two providers stack up against each other head-to-head:
In this Guide:
- Difference Between Wix and GoDaddy – How do Wix and GoDaddy stack up head-to-head on features, support, ecommerce, versatility and ADI?
- Wix vs GoDaddy Pricing Comparison – GoDaddy is cheaper, but Wix has more features
- Wix Summary – Get a great-looking website with loads of features with Wix’s easy to use software
- GoDaddy Summary – Build a website in minutes with GoDaddy’s speedy set up and site creator
- The Verdict – Find out why we think Wix is better than GoDaddy
- Wix vs GoDaddy FAQs – We answer all your questions about Wix and GoDaddy
Value for Money
Help and Support
Ease of Use
Paid plan (monthly)
Try it Today
Yes (data and URL limitations)
30-day free trial
Starts from $5
Starts from $5.99
|Wix Free||Wix Combo||Wix Unlimited||Wix VIP||GoDaddy Personal||GoDaddy Business||GoDaddy Business Plus||GoDaddy Online Store|
|Cost (paid monthly)||$0||$14.50||$16||$35||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Cost (paid annually)||$0||$8.50 (3yr-deal)||$14||$29||$5.99||$9.99||$14.99||$19.99|
|Free domain||✗||✔ (if paid annually)||✔ (if paid annually)||✔ (if paid annually)||✔ (if paid annually)||✔ (if paid annually)||✔ (if paid annually)||✔ (if paid annually)|
|Email marketing||✗||✗||✗||10 campaigns/50,000 emails||✗||✗||50,000 emails/5,000 subscribers||50,000 emails/5,000 subscribers|
|Click to Try||See Plan||See Plan||See Plan||See Plan||See Plan||See Plan||See Plan||See Plan|
Wix Summary – the best website builder you can choose
We've done the testing and user feedback, and the results are clear. Wix is the best website builder on the market — and it's streets ahead of GoDaddy's builder.
While both Wix and GoDaddy allow you to build a website, Wix gives users a greater range of features than GoDaddy. For example, it has powerful search engine optimization (SEO) tools which you can use to help your site appear at the top of search engine results pages — this will help more visitors find your site.
Wix is great for a variety of websites
Wix is also far more versatile than GoDaddy. With Wix, you'll be able to build almost any type of website — blogs, ecommerce stores, business sites, portfolios and more. This is ideal if, for example, you start building an online store, and then decide to add a blog element to keep in touch with your customers and keep them updated. Plus, with a certification program that teaches participants the necessary skills to create high quality website, dubbed WixEd, you can be sure you're getting the most out of the platform.
Wix is also better value for money than GoDaddy, offering a wider range of pricing plans, with more features and the ability to pay monthly, rather than annually.
Want to know more? Read our full Wix Website Builder review here.
Click to expand
- Get 50% off Wix Premium plans until 26th November
- Incredibly simple to use
- Great value plans
- Easy to preview as you go
- No expertise needed
- Great range of templates
- Free plan leaves you with a poor URL and Wix adverts
- After publishing with a template, you can't change to another one
GoDaddy Summary – an incredibly quick, easy way to make a website
GoDaddy is a huge internet services company, offering everything from website hosting to online marketing functions. However, we don't think its website builder is its finest work.
GoDaddy's website builder is easy to use — everything is intuitively laid out and jargon-free. However, compared to other website builders, we felt that this simplicity restricted the overall website customization.
GoDaddy is good for online stores
If you want to build an online store, or a website for your business, GoDaddy is a solid tool. Unfortunately, GoDaddy isn't the best when it comes to building blogs, portfolios or any other type of website.
Click to expand
- Offers a powerful and speedy ADI option
- An easy-to-use editor
- Lacks real in-depth customization options
- Very few apps or plugins to add extra functionality
- Singular focus on business websites
We think that Wix is the best website builder on the market, thanks to its wider range of features, better templates and great support options.
GoDaddy could still be a viable option if you want to get online super fast and don’t need a ton of extra features. It could be a good choice if you’re looking for a website to accompany a bricks-and-mortar store.
However, we think you’d be better off investing slightly more time in Wix to get a better site.
Wix vs GoDaddy FAQs
As two of the world's most popular website builders, it can seem difficult to split the difference between Wix and GoDaddy. However, in this FAQs section, we'll answer all the remaining questions you have.
Can I use a Wix website on GoDaddy?
We're guessing here that you want to connect a website you've created on Wix to a GoDaddy domain. It's a bit of an involved process but you can do it.
- Log in to your GoDaddy Domain Control Center
- Select your domain name from the list to access the Domain Settings page
At this point, you should see a button next to your domain name that says Use My Domain. If you do, follow these instructions:
- Select Use My Domain
- Select Connect under Connect to an existing site
- Select Websites, this will allow you to begin the process of forwarding your domain to a different site.
At this point you'll need to follow the instructions on screen as they can vary.
If you didn't see the Use My Domain button, you'll need to do the following before you can forward your domain.
- Find Additional Settings and click Manage DNS
- Scroll down to the Forwarding section
- Click Add next to Domain or Subdomain to set up forwarding
- Under Forward to, select http:// or https:// for the destination URL
- In the blank field under Forward to, enter the destination URL you want to redirect your domain or subdomain to
- Under Forward type, select 301 or 302 redirect
- Select your forwarding Settings to determine how your redirect will function:
- Forward only: Redirects to the site you specified in the Forward To field and the destination URL will show in the browser address bar
- Forward with masking: Redirects to the site you specified in the Forward To field and your domain name will show in the browser address bar instead of the destination URL. Enter your details for at least one of the Meta Tag types
- Click Save. GoDaddy will then update your domain, although it may take between 24-48 hours for all the changes to take effect.
Is GoDaddy good for web hosting?
GoDaddy might be one of the biggest names in the website hosting game but, for our money, it isn't one of the best.
As well as website builders, we review web hosting providers here at Tech.co and we gave GoDaddy a 3.5 out of 5 rating in our review — that's not bad but you can do better. It might have generous storage options and a strong feature set, but its customer support is lacking compared to its rivals. Perhaps crucially, though, its 99.97% uptime isn't as good as many competitors.
Is a Wix website really free?
Sort of. You can technically build and publish a website using Wix for free. However, you'll find that a Wix free plan has some limitations, for example:
- You can't choose your own URL – With a free Wix website, you’ll be stuck with a domain name like this: username.wixsite.com/siteaddress. It doesn’t look very professional, and your site will appear lower in Google’s results.
- You can't remove Wix adverts – If you choose to go with a free Wix website, you’ll find your impeccably-designed pages cluttered with adverts for Wix’s services (and no, you won't make money out of them yourself).
- You can't sell products online – If you’re looking to sell the stuff you make online (ie create an ecommerce store), you won’t be able to do it with a free site from Wix. Instead you'll need to try one of its Business-level plans.
- You can't upload lots of images, videos, or audio – With only 500MB storage, you’ll be unable to upload more than a few of your own photos to your site. This will harm your ability to make your site unique.
- You can't choose your own hosting provider – You do get free hosting on a Wix free website but it isn’t very good. Instead, opting for a paid site will let you choose a different hosting provider, giving you more uptime, bandwidth and storage.
What's more, a Wix premium plan will rectify these issues, and they don't cost that much money.
How much is a website on Wix?
Website plans start from as little as $8.50 per month with Wix, if you pay annually. That's $102 per year which, for a fully functioning website, isn't too much money at all.
Here's a full breakdown of Wix's pricing plans, and what you'll get for your money.
Monthly cost (paid monthly)
Monthly cost (paid annually)
Do you get a free domain with an annual purchase?
Site Booster & Form Builder App
Email campaigns and emails sent per month
Priority Response & VIP support
BEST FOR SMALL SITES
BEST FOR SMALL STORES
$8.50 (3-yr plan)
10 campaigns/50,000 emails
20 campaigns/ 100,000 emails
20 campaigns/ 100,000 emails
A good choice if you have a low traffic site
The best value non-ecommerce plan
The best choice for large, non-ecommerce businesses
A decent choice for new businesses
Handy email tools for growing your business
Extra support tools are welcome, but not essential
Which is better, WordPress or GoDaddy?
We reckon WordPress is, on balance, a better website builder than GoDaddy – particularly if you have any experience of coding. More confident users who've perhaps worked on a website before will have no problem delving into the features of WordPress. GoDaddy, meanwhile, does a brilliant job of guiding inexperienced users thanks to its ADI. Even if you've never tried building a website before, GoDaddy can help you make a smart-looking one in just a few steps.
However, we also think that WordPress and GoDaddy are just different. WordPress is excellent if you want to build a blogging site, or a site that you want to keep updating regularly with fresh content. GoDaddy, on the other hand, is far more suited to business sites or online stores. You won't be able to run a great blog on GoDaddy but nor will you be able to run a brilliant online store using WordPress.
So, it depends what sort of website you want to make. However, given the choice, we'd probably choose Wix over either of them.
Tech.co is reader-supported. If you make a purchase through the links on our site, we may earn a commission from the retailers of the products we have reviewed. This helps Tech.co to provide free advice and reviews for our readers. It has no additional cost to you, and never affects the editorial independence of our reviews. Click to return to top of page