Demo day is wrapping up in Chicago as 10 new health startups launch to the public out of Healthbox.
The 3-month accelerator program offered mentorship, office space, and $50,000 in funding (in exchange for 7 percent equity) to 10 lucky startups who are tackling a tricky sector.
“Between rising costs, issues of access and a complex transition into the digital age, the American healthcare system faces some daunting challenges,” Healthbox explains.
Here are the 10 startups:
- Cara Health (Dublin, Ireland): A system that helps identify which patients need to be readmitted to the hospital based on health reports they submit.
- CareHubs (Beaverton, OR): A social platform that connects patients and doctors.
- CareWire (Minneapolis, MN): A text messaging service that sends reminders about appointments and satisfaction surveys to patients. Cofounded by former AOL product leader Scott Danielson and former UnitedHealth Group exec David Nichols.
- Corengi (Seattle, WA): Helps patients find clinical research studies to participate in. Cofounders Ryan Luce and Elliot Cohen are hoping to accelerate medical innovation.
- DermLink (Atherton, CA): A HIPAA-compliant app where patients can have their dermatology problems diagnosed over the Internet.
The Healthboxers get some advice from Jessica Kim of BabbaCo
- My Coupon Doc (Atlanta, GA): Offers manufacturer coupons on prescriptions and over-the-counter medicines.
- PUSH Wellness (Chicago, IL): Incentivizes employees to make measurable behavior changes for better health. Cofounded by Dr. Greg Vachon and research manager Charlie Zei.
- SwiftPayMD (Norcross, GA): A mobile app that allows traveling doctors to submit billing information immediately after an appointment, bringing in payment faster.
- SwipeSense (Evanston, IL): A portable hand sanitation device. Cofounded by Northwestern University grads Mert Iseri and Yuri Malina, who also cofounded Design for America.
- UnitedPreference (Princeton, NJ): Incentivizes members to engage in preventative health activities with prepaid cards for healthy purchases.