March 25, 2015
Project management and collaboration are no longer limited to emails or sharing platforms such as Google Drive. Recent developments in technology have opened doors to a brighter horizon in project facilitation.
With the right tools available to you, your projects are more likely to succeed.
An array of worthwhile tools have become available in the form of project management technology that previous generations could only have dreamed about. These attributes allow for smoother operation, increased efficiencies, and a better overall collaborative experience.
They include the following:
- Data backup: Filing cabinets, once essential organizational tools, have become all but obsolete when it comes to project management. Technology makes it possible to back up all your data on an ongoing basis, and keep records on file even when your computer crashes. By storing everything on the cloud or a secure and separate hard drive, you can be certain your project will not fail due to a computer glitch.
- Instant communication: Telecommuting has enabled all kinds of capabilities with modern technology. It gives you the opportunity to work from any location, whether your own home or on the road. According to Forbes, one in every five Americans currently telecommutes for work. With that telecommuting comes the necessity for instant communication via messaging, email, telephone, video calls, and more.
- Keeping up with deadlines: Without an interactive technological platform, keeping up with deadlines across company divisions can be extremely difficult at best. With new technology and software, collaborators can stay on schedule and complete tasks by a deadline everyone is comfortable with.
- Budget tracking: The invention of Excel spreadsheets was revolutionary when it came to keeping track of business expenses, but the formulas are complicated, especially when you have multiple varieties of expenses to manage. Modern project management software and business budgeting programs have simplified that challenge because they pretty much do the math for you.
- Time stamping: How much time did you spend on that last task? You probably weren’t watching the clock, even though it’s an essential part of managing your project and properly billing the client. New project management software will help you calculate or track the time spent on each project so you don’t have to pay such close attention to the clock.
- Social media: Websites that host and encourage a high amount of social interaction not only help you to reach out to customers and clients, but also help you stay on top of your tasks. You can receive task status updates through Twitter, and communicate with team members and clients through Facebook and other social media platforms.
Project management software
Each of the features listed above are amazing on their own, but they are even more astounding when you can put them together into one interactive program that manages all your projects for you.
Project management software affords you easy facilitation of projects so you firm can improve its efficiency. Though there are downloadable options that work well for a very small business, if you want to get the most out of a program, it should be online and easily accessible from anywhere.
Here are a few top picks for project management software:
Wrike is an excellent project management program that comes in both online and app form. If you only have a few users, the platform is free, and the cost for more users is not prohibitive. It allows you to track your campaign status, run workload reports, meet deadlines, and keep account of time and money spent.
You also have the ability to communicate directly with other collaborators, by tagging any team members in the comment box. Another feature that really stands out is its integration capabilities. You can connect Wrike with other programs, such as Outlook, Dropbox, and Google Drive, which makes it even more flexible.
Trello is another fine online program and app that’s free and easy to use. It uses a method known as Kanban, which enables users to move “cards” around, as a method of representing tasks within a project.
The placement of each card creates a visual assessment of the project’s progress so members can gauge how close the project is to completion. The visual representation is great for helping users stay on task and remain informed about the progress of the project, but there isn’t much room for detail in Trello’s interface.
Producteev is absolutely free for all projects and users as long as you don’t need to integrate with other platforms. That requirement will entail an upgrade to the pro account.
It’s easy to maneuver around and offers simple, real-time communication, task listing, and progress tracking. However, several features such as time tracking and billing software are not available; but if those are not essential to you, Producteev is the best there is as far as free project management software.
Technology improves project management
Technology has made project planning and execution so much easier today. With the right tools up your sleeve, you can see significant improvements in your processes and bottom line.
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!