There are various Squarespace pricing plans that mean anyone can get started creating a Squarespace website. Squarespace costs will depend on whether you're creating a small personal site, or a large online store – it's a flexible platform, with prices to match.
So, for all of its benefits, how much does Squarespace cost? Reassuringly, you don't need to spend much to get started with Squarespace. It has some fantastic value plans, beginning from just $12 per month if you pay annually. This cost rises to $40 per month for an Advanced Online Store plan – which is still tremendous value when it comes to creating an ecommerce website.
The most important thing is to understand how much you need to spend to get the type of website you're after with Squarespace. In this guide, we'll explain the different Squarespace plans and costs, and which plan is most appropriate for which type of site and budget.
In this Guide:
- Squarespace Pricing Plans – Get an in-depth look at Squarespace's four pricing plans, starting from just $12 per month
- Websites Personal ($12/month, paid annually) – the best choice if you're creating a blog, portfolio or very small business site
- Websites Business ($18/month, paid annually) – a great value plan for small businesses
- Basic Commerce ($26/month, paid annually) – a superb low price for creating an online store
- Advanced Commerce ($40/month, paid annually) – everything you need for creating a larger-scale ecommerce site
- Using Squarespace for Free – You can, but only for 14 days
- Squarespace Domain Hosting Costs – You can use Squarespace's hosting, or connect a domain you already own to Squarespace
|Websites – Personal||Websites – Business||Online stores – Basic||Online stores – Advanced|
|Verdict||This is the cheapest plan, and it's great for anyone who's looking for a stunning personal website||An ideal choice for small businesses that don't need the functionality to sell online||A good value plan that's perfect for growing ecommerce businesses||The best choice for larger scale ecommerce businesses looking for a beautiful website|
|Cost (paid monthly)||$16||$26||$30||$46|
|Cost (paid annually)||$144||$216||$312||$480|
|Domain included||With annual purchase||With annual purchase||With annual purchase||With annual purchase|
|Compare Plans||See Deals||See Deals||See Deals||See Deals|
* Use code TECH10 for 10% off on Squarespace plans
To help you understand those prices and features even further, it helps to think in terms of what type of website you're aiming to build. Here's a breakdown of which Squarespace plan is best-suited to which type of website:
- If you want to make a blog – Choose the Personal plan, as you’ll get unlimited storage for photos and website metrics
- If you want to sell products online – You’ll need the Basic Online Store plan. There are no transaction fees, and you can sell an unlimited amount of products
- If you want to create a site for your small business – We’d opt for the Business Websites plan. You get professional email, and the ability to create promotional pop-ups and announcement bars to help you make sales
- If you want to run a website for a club or group – The Personal plan should suit you just fine – and with unlimited bandwidth thrown in, you’ll never worry about your site going down
- If you want to create a portfolio – Again, we’d go for the Personal plan. Unlimited storage is great for uploading videos, images or audio to advertise your work
- If you run a subscriptions business, like a magazine – You’ll need the Advanced Online Stores plan. Squarespace is currently the only website builder to offer subscription sales
- The best-looking templates around
- Great ecommerce functions
- Simple to customize
- Not quite as easy as Wix for first-timers
- Small range of apps
- No free version
Squarespace Personal Plan
The Personal Plan is Squarespace’s cheapest pricing plan, costing $12 per month.
For this, you’ll get access to a fully-featured website with unlimited storage for uploading images and videos, and unlimited bandwidth to make sure everyone can visit your site.
Your website will be fully mobile-optimized, thanks to Squarespace’s industry-leading templates, and you’ll get SSL security included, so your users will see the reassuring padlock in their browser. Also thrown in are website metrics and 24/7 help and support.
If you’re looking to build a website for a small club, hobby, blog or portfolio, the Personal plan is a great choice.
Squarespace Business Plan
Intended for businesses that don’t need to sell products online, the Business plan costs $18 per month and builds on the Personal plan’s strong foundations.
You’ll be able to register unlimited contributors to your site – ideal for businesses with more than one employee – and be able to get professional email from Google featuring your site’s custom domain, rather than “@gmail.com.”
You’ll also be able to access a selection of tools to encourage customers to visit your store or place an order. You get $100 of Google Ad credit to help attract customers to your site, as well as access to promotional pop-ups and an announcement bar to make your offers even more enticing.
For small bricks-and-mortar shops or services businesses, the Business plan is ideal.
Squarespace Basic Online Stores Plan
While you can sell products online with the Business plan, Squarespace will take a 3% commission on every sale you make. With the Basic Online Stores plan, however, Squarespace waives the fee.
The monthly price is increased to $26 per month, but you get a wide range of benefits beyond just the transaction fee. For example, you get a fully mobile optimized checkout on your own site, and improved commercial metrics to identify any pain-points your users are finding with your site.
You also get access to integrated accounting and label printing services, provided by specialists that have partnered with Squarespace. This makes it super easy to keep your stall in order.
Squarespace Advanced Online Stores Plan
At $40 per month, this is Squarespace’s most expensive plan. And, while you might wince at that price, don’t forget that Squarespace’s excellent site design and features will be helping you make way more money than that.
You get all the features from the Basic Online Stores plan, plus:
- Abandoned cart auto-recovery
- Advanced shipping rate calculations for USPS, FedEx and UPS
- Flexible discounts to specific order values, or limited use or time promotions
- The ability to sell digital gift cards
- Access to the Orders API, which allows you to build custom integration with third-party services for order fulfilment and production logistics
- Subscription sales for recurring product orders
This extra level of functionality means that you’ll be able to offer a complete ecommerce experience with remarkable ease.
If your business is selling products, this is the best way to go about it.
Tech.co is reader-supported. If you make a purchase through the links on our site, we may earn a commission from the retailers of the products we have reviewed. This helps Tech.co to provide free advice and reviews for our readers. It has no additional cost to you, and never affects the editorial independence of our reviews.