July 17, 2018
|Free plan||Yes||Yes||14-day free trial|
|Paid plan||Starts from $5||Starts from $8||Starts from $12|
|Number of templates||Over 500||56||91|
Best website builder for first-timers, with great looking templates.
Wix is our favorite website builder and scores highly across the board in our testing. It’s super fast to get started with Wix, and brilliantly simple to create a website using one of its top class templates. Its streamlined artificial design intelligence system (ADI) can also create the shell of a website that’s specifically tailored to your needs.
Once you’ve created the basis of your website, you’ll have access to a plethora of apps and features which will give you the ability to create loads of different types of website – whether that’s for a business, an online shop, or even a blog.
With Wix, you won’t need any experience with website builders, or even web development in general. Its simple but detailed editing system means you’ll be able to create a completely original website without any stress.
Want to know more about Wix? Check out our full Wix review
Start Creating Your Website With Wix and Save
- Incredibly simple to use
- Great value plans
- Easy to preview as you go
- No expertise needed
- Great range of templates
- After publishing with a template, you can’t change to another one
A great, easy-to-use option for website builder rookies.
Although good, Weebly isn’t quite as good as Wix. It doesn’t have as many website templates to choose from, and the ecommerce functions are expensive compared to Wix.
However, it’s still a fantastic website builder, armed with loads of great aspects for users new to website construction. The templates are flexible, and you can change between them at any time. Like Wix, Weebly also has a very intuitive drag-and-drop editor, allowing for deep customization of your site. You’ll also have access to over 300 apps and plugins which will help make your site work brilliantly for all of your visitors.
Weebly might be your perfect website builder – Read our full Weebly review to find out why
Create An Amazing Website In Moments With Weebly
- Great selection of templates
- Lots of tools you can add to your site
- Good customization options
- No editor for mobile version of your site
- Expensive for creating an ecommerce site
Offers the best templates on the market – perfect for novices after a stunning site.
If you want your website to look fantastic, Squarespace is the website builder for you. It only has 91 templates to choose from, but since they’re developed in-house by Squarespace themselves, all of them provide an extremely high design standard.
It’s also a great platform for running a blog, thanks to its aesthetically-pleasing template designs and intuitive text editor.
Using Squarespace as an online store is just as easy as creating a blog. It has templates designed specifically to work as online stores, and a really straightforward product manager system that will let you manage prices and track stock. PayPal, debit/credit card and Apple Pay payment options are also built-in.
It is a mite more expensive than Wix, but since you’re paying for a lot of the work up-front, you do get slightly more for your money.
Check out some of Squarespace’s terrific templates in our full Squarespace review
Use Discount Code TECH10 for 10% Off Squarespace Prices
- The best-looking templates around
- Great ecommerce functions
- Simple to customize
- Not quite as easy as Wix for first-timers
- Small range of apps
- No free version
Build Your Site with 1&1 MyWebsite Today
- Has an in-depth editor with lots of customization options
- Offers multilingual functions
- Easy-to-access HTML and CSS code
- No free package
- No ecommerce functions
- Outdated templates
Start Blogging Today With WordPress
- Great for bloggers and publishing sites
- Easy to get started
- Huge user community
- WordPress.org might be a better option
- Not a worthwhile choice for non-publishing/non-blogging sites
- Slightly inflexible editor
Start Promoting Your Business Online With GoDaddy
- Offers a powerful and speedy ADI option
- An easy-to-use editor
- Lacks real in-depth customization options
- Very few apps or plugins to add extra functionality
- Singular focus on business websites
Get Online in a Flash With Site123
- Incredibly quick setup and ADI features
- Good ecommerce features
- Slightly dull templates
- Confusing navigation options
Your First Website
When you come to building your first ever website, you should remember these five key things:
- Use a website builder – They’re cheaper than web developers, and give you a website you know how to use. The best builders are listed above.
- Pick the right website builder for you – We like Wix, due to its prices, range of features and ease of use.
- Know exactly what you want from your website – Think about the people you want to visit your site, and what they should do once they’re there.
- Don’t be intimidated – Most website builders offer loads of help and support options, so you’ll be able to fix any problems.
- Build happy – This is your site, your portal to the entire internet, so make it fun!
Build Your First Website Quickly, Easily and Cheaply With Wix
Did you like this article?
Get more delivered to your inbox just like it!